Who Needs A Liver Transplant?
Study shows that liver is the second most transplanted organ in the human body. Liver diseases are becoming more and more common today. It is important however, to understand the various situations under which a liver transplant may be considered.
Here are some of the most common reasons for a liver transplant:
Chronic Viral Hepatitis B, C, D
Hepatitis is caused by the viral infection that results in inflammation, swelling and cell death. All this leads to liver destruction or scarring. The different types of hepatitis are A, B, C, D and E. Hepatitis B is the leading indication of liver cancer worldwide.
In this type of hepatitis, the body’s immune system is not able to recognize it’s own liver tissue. It thus begins to injure the liver cells and that finally leads to scarring, liver cirrhosis and end stage liver disease. Unlike chronic viral hepatitis, this disease is not caused by a virus.
Laennec cirrhosis is caused by the toxic effects of excessive alcohol. Alcohol abuse can cause great damage to the liver which is one of the leading causes for liver transplants.
Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
Fat accumulation in the liver cells causes this disease. It is said that excessive alcohol is the main cause of a fatty liver. But this condition is also seen in patients with diabetes and obesity. This condition can cause liver cirrhosis.
Sometimes the liver develops cirrhosis for no apparent reason like alcohol abuse or viral infection etc. This is called cryptogenic cirrhosis.
Sometimes there is a blockage in the bile duct. The liver produces bile which flows from the bile duct to the gall bladder. From here it is slowly released to the small intestine and helps in digesting fats. When the bile duct is blocked, all the bile that is produced accumulates in the liver and causes swelling and eventually loss of liver function.
Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis
In this disease, the bile duct becomes progressively damaged by inflammation. This results in scarring that narrows the bile duct and causes obstruction to the flow of bile.
The bile ducts become dilated and results in the formation of cysts or sacks. This causes infection and obstruction of the bile ducts.
This is a congenital disorder. A choledochal cyst is formed due to a structurally flawed bile duct.
Active Liver Failure
People suffering from acute liver failure caused by other reasons such as viral infection, fatty liver, etc. can undergo liver transplant surgery.
Exposure to certain pesticides, herbicides, lead, asbestos and other hazardous pollutants can be the cause of a potentially life threatening liver disease.
Tumors that spread either from other parts of the body or those that develop in the liver itself can cause serious damage to this organ.
Well, this was a broad discussion of all the conditions that could lead to a liver transplant. Not limited to these, there are several conditions that can be treated at the right center for a liver transplant. Other reasons could include injury from accidents, glycogen storage disease and lots more.
This summer Social Security celebrated its 80th birthday and Medicare turned 50. There are more than a few naysayers talking about the ills of Social Security, but in reality, the fact that they are available is one very positive factor in the well-being of many. One of the myths about Social Security is that you have to be retired to receive those benefits. That is only partially true. Social Security benefits are resources that include child survivor benefits, widow’s survivor benefits, disability and retirement benefits. Any of these circumstances can contribute to stress and stress will have a negative impact on health.
The American Psychological Association (APA) “Stress in America Survey” reports that the primary cause of stress among Americans is money, with 72% of survey respondents reporting feeling stressed about finances. Stress and worry are at odds with well-being. Stress can weaken the immune system, interfere with sleep patterns, and cause overeating, headaches, stomach problems or back pain along with many other ailments that affect your ability to honestly say, “I feel good.”
The benefits of Social Security can play a huge role in allying financial challenges and the Medicare component aids in easing concerns about the medical expenses of those receiving Social Security benefits. However it is important to be proactive in managing your personal and family health even before you are eligible for Social Security benefits. Here are steps you can take to focus on maintaining a healthy outlook and lifestyle.
• Eat a well-balanced, low-fat diet with lots of fruits, vegetables, legumes and whole grains.
• Choose a diet that’s low in saturated fat and cholesterol, and moderate in sugar, salt and total fat.
• Avoid injury by wearing seatbelts and bike helmets, using smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in the home, and being aware of your surroundings.
• If you own a gun, recognize the dangers of having a gun in your home and use safety precautions at all times.
• Don’t smoke, or quit if you do.
• Drink in moderation if you drink alcohol. Never drink before or while driving, or when pregnant.
• Ask someone you trust for help if you think you might be addicted to drugs or alcohol.
• Help prevent sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and HIV/AIDS by using condoms every time you have sexual contact. Condoms aren’t 100 percent foolproof, so discuss STI screening with your provider.
• Brush your teeth after meals with a soft or medium bristled toothbrush. Also brush after drinking and before going to bed. Use dental floss daily.
• Stay out of the sun, especially between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. when the sun’s harmful rays are strongest and use sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or higher.
By adopting these habits you’re making positive moves for better physical health. Make adjustments to reduce stress and improve emotional health with the following:
• Positive self-talk–Turn negative thoughts into positive ones. Instead of saying “I can’t do this,” say “I’ll do the best I can.” Negative self-talk increases stress.
• Emergency stress stoppers–If you start to feel stressed, count to 10 before you talk, take a few deep breaths or go for a walk.
• Finding pleasure–Engaging in activities you enjoy is a great way to stave off stress. Take up a hobby, watch a movie or have a meal with friends.
• Daily relaxation–Engage in some relaxation techniques. Meditation, yoga and tai chi have all been shown to reduce stress levels.
Birthdays are always great to recognize, including those big dates for Social Security and Medicare-just remember by following these guidelines you too can reap the benefits of good health and well-being through the years.
For ladies, getting ready for work every single day is really a challenge especially if you do not have enough time to do all the preparations such as taking a shower and doing the makeup. It is especially hard if you are not very good at makeup because you will have to spend more time just to make sure that either you do not look pale or you do not overdo your makeup.
Getting help for the beauty experts is such an advantage. Getting beauty and makeup tips from those who are considered as experts in the field will truly but the time you spend in getting yourself ready in half. With these simple and easy makeup tips, you’ll not only get it done quickly but also perfectly with less effort to exert.
Make sure you focus on what are considered the four key areas. First, know how to moisturize. You need a clean face to work with, which means washing and moisturizing. Secondly, learn how to put on the foundation. Dab on the right foundation for your skin, paying special attention to areas that need even skin tone. Next, work with the mascara. Open up your eyes with mascara to achieve that bright eyes. And lastly, apply lipstick. Apply the perfect color for your lips; go bolder for evenings out. Incidentally, one beauty blogger is raving about the popular lip color of the season which is orange.
That is basically what you need to know for simple and easy makeup. However, if you want to explore more and be more playful with how you want to look when leaving the house, you can also learn a few more makeup tips. To achieve that illuminated eyes, try using a peach-colored concealer under your eyes because orange tones can cancel out any darkness.
Trying out the new foundation sticks is also recommended. Perfectly even skin is achieved with foundation sticks. Draw thick lines down cheekbones, above the brows, down your nose, and then blend with your fingers. Rubbing moisturizer on your hands before blending will create a dewy finish and lighter coverage.